Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


By Department Utility Services

Water/Sewer Service: How do I start and/or stop residential water/sewer service?
Requests to start or stop a residential service from individual U.S. citizens may be processed by contacting the Departm... (more)

I’m a property manager/realtor/other agent: How do I start/stop service at a property?
Service Requests from property managers, realtors, or other agents should be submitted by completing a case in Contact H... (more)

High Bill Due to Leak: I discovered and repaired a major leak at my property. Can I request an adjustment t...
The City offers a ONE-TIME leak adjustment in the case of some significant leaks. Adjustments consist of a discounted ra... (more)

Water Pressure Problem: I think I have a problem with my water pressure.
Do you have a water softener?Many pressure problems are associated with malfunctioning or improp... (more)

Utility Information: I need information regarding power, phone, cable, and/or trash.
The Customer Service phone number for NV Energy is 702-402-5555. Click here for their website: ... (more)

Draining Pools and Spas: Can I drain my pool or spa into the street? How do I locate my sewer port?
Draining pool or spa water into the street is considered water waste, and may result in administrative fines. Draining p... (more)

Electronic Water Bill: How can I receive an E-Bill or set up AutoPay?
E-Bill IS HERE! We've made managing your account faster, easier, and more eco-friendly!You can enroll in EBill a... (more)

Demand Request: I need to request a demand showing the full amount due at a property or to clear a lien on ...
Our Department of Utility Services Customer Care Center can help you. Please submit your request below (one address per ... (more)

Water/Sewer Bill Discounts: I am a senior citizen with limited income. Can I receive a discount on my water...
The City of Henderson will waive the monthly basic water and sewer service charge for seniors enrolled in the Nevada Ene... (more)

Car and Surface Washing: Can I wash my car at home?
Washing of personal vehicles at residential properties is limited to one day per week with the use of a positive shut-of... (more)

Water Meter Turn Off: How/where can I turn off my water meter?
1. Locate your water meter 2. Use a screwdriver to lift the lid off the water meter box (proceed to step 3 or 4). 3. In... (more)

Watering schedule? What is my watering schedule?
Residential and commercial landscape irrigation is restricted to a certain number of days per week based on the season. ... (more)

How do I start and/or stop commercial/irrigation water service
Requests to start or stop a commercial/irrigation water service should be submitted by completeing a case in Contact Hen... (more)

Leak Adjustment Program: I have requested an adjustment to my bill after repairing a major water leak at my...
Customers are responsible for all water that passes through the water meter at their property, regardless of whether the... (more)

I’m a property manager/Realtor/other agent: How do I update/change my account information?
In order to update or change current account information such as an emergency contact phone number or the address where ... (more)

I’m a property manager/realtor/other agent: How can I get immediate service at a property?
Standard working days are Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays. Same day service initiation is generally availabl... (more)

How do I get a water meter installed at a newly constructed home?
The City will install meters up to 2" in size for new developments. In order to schedule a meter install, please submit ... (more)

Trash Pick up: Why do I have to have trash picked up at a residence if it is unoccupied?
Per Henderson Municipal Code 5.17.220, it is mandatory to utilize and pay for solid waste (trash) collection at any prem... (more)

Report Water Waste: How do I report water waste/water running down the sidewalk/someone watering on a day d...
Common examples of water waste include:Water flowing off private property Watering outside of y... (more)

Water Line Repair and Maintenance: What part of the water line am I responsible to maintain/repair? I have...
Per Henderson Municipal Code (HMC) 14.03.020D: �The customer is responsible for all plumbing, piping, and appurtenanc... (more)

Lawn/Turf Removal: What programs are available for funding turf removal?
The Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) will rebate customers $1.50 per square foot of grass removed and replaced wit... (more)

I am a non-US citizen. How do I start/stop service to my property in Henderson?
International customers must submit service requests through a case in Contact Henderson. You will need to attach a curr... (more)

Water/Sewer Bill Discounts: I am permanently disabled. Can I receive a discount on my water/sewer bill?
The City of Henderson waives the monthly basic water and sewer service charges for customers who are permanently disable... (more)

Service Verification: FOR REPUBLIC STAFF ONLY
Please provide the full customer name and street address you are inquiring about. Multiple customers and addresses may b... (more)

Water Odor/Color/Taste: I think I have a problem with my water. How do I test it?
Do you smell odor when the faucet is turned on? By far, the most common cause of this type of pr... (more)

Broken Water/Sewer Line: I need to report a broken water line/sewer line/main.
Broken water lines, sewer lines, and/or mains should NOT be entered as cases or reported via email. All such issues sho... (more)

Potential Waterline Leak: How do I check for a leak?
If you have unusually high water usage on your bill and you think you have a leak, here are some things to check:... (more)

Wastewater/Sewer Line Repair and Maintenance: What part of the wastewater/sewer line am I responsible to ma...
Per Henderson Municipal Code (HMC) 14.04.020D: �The customer is responsible for all plumbing, piping, and appurtenanc... (more)

Lawn / Turf Installation: Can I reseed my lawn? How do I request an exemption to water my reseeded lawn?
Learn how properly reseeding your lawn can improve its health and appearance by reviewing the brochure, ... (more)

Franchise for trash pickup service: Why is Republic Services the only company with a franchise to provide t...
Federal and state regulations mandate environmentally sound solid waste collection and disposal. As such, it is declared... (more)

How do I attach a picture or other file to my request?
When putting a request into Contact Henderson, you may attach up to 3 additional files. To do this, click on the ... (more)

Lawn/Turf Installation: Can I plant grass in my yard?
The installation of new turf in residential front yards, common areas, medians and non-residential developments is prohi... (more)

Water Line "Insurance": I received a letter about water line insurance, what should I know to make an infor...
A company called HomeServe has been soliciting residents to purchase an "insurance policy” that covers repairs/replaceme... (more)

Vault Shutdown: How do I schedule a vault shutdown?
Vault shutdown requests may be sumitted by completing a case in Contact Henderson. Vault Shutdowns should be scheduled d... (more)

Calculation of Water/Sewer Fees: How do I calculate the water and sewer fees for my project?
Please click here for the Department of... (more)

Water Meter Leaks: What do I do if my water meter is leaking?
If possible, verify that the water meter is leaking by bailing-out the water in the meter box and noting where the leak ... (more)

Builder/Developer Meter Installs: Why does it ask for information on the size of the meter box?
Building code regulation underwent some significant changes which took effect July 1, 2011. Many properties may need to ... (more)

Temporary Hydrant Meter/Jones Valve: How do I request a temporary hydrant meter/jones valve?
Requests for temporary hydrant meters/jones valves are requested and processed at City of Henderson City Hall in the Dev... (more)

Potential Waterline Leak: How do I check for a leak?
If you have unusually high water usage on your bill and you think you have a leak, here are some things to check:... (more)

Water/Sewer Locations: How can I determine the closest available water and sewer for a property?
Please contact Utility Services New Development at 702-267-3670 Monday-Thursday 7:30-5:30, and provide an address or par... (more)

Stopping my Trash Service: How do I get a copy of my closing water bill so that I can cancel my trash ser...
Closing bills are mailed to the address provided within 2-3 business days after water service disconnection is scheduled... (more)

Grease: What should I do with my cooking grease?
Never pour cooking grease down a sink drain. Grease should be allowed to cool put into a plastic container, or old milk... (more)

Verify identity: Why am I asked to verify my identity when I apply for water service?
On January 1, 2008, The Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Bank Regulatory Agencies, and the National Credit Union Ad... (more)

Sewer Odors: I smell a sewer odor. How do I report it?
While sewers, by nature, have an unpleasant odor, you should not be able to smell sewer odor at a home or business. Sewe... (more)

Insurance Protection Letter: Does the City recommend any company for insurance
We are aware that one or more companies have been soliciting residents to purchase an "insurance policy" that covers rep... (more)

Irrigation Clock: How do I program my sprinkler clock?
You should change your irrigation clock settings each season, to comply with mandatory watering restrictions and to prot... (more)

Increased water use: Can someone from the City help me determine the cause of my water consumption increase?
Listed below are a variety of causes can be responsible for increased water consumption at a property. ... (more)

Meter Resize Requests: How do I request a meter resize?
The City of Henderson is currently offering eligible customers the opportunity to resize their water meter. Prior to r... (more)

Sewer Manhole Lid/Water Valve Cover Out of Place: What do I do if I see sewer manhole lid or water valve co...
Thank you for your inquiry to Contact Henderson. Displaced sewer manhole lids and water valve cover concerns should NO... (more)

Water Meter Location:Where is my water meter located?
About 90 percent of all area residential water meters are located in the front sidewalk. Water meters are typically loca... (more)

Fire Hydrant Repair and Maintenance: How do I request a repair to a fire hydrant? How do I find out if fire...
Utility Field Operations maintains all public fire hydrants in the City of Henderson. For maintainance schedules, to in... (more)

Bursting Pipes/Freezing Water Temperatures: What do I do when my pipes or backflow burst due to freezing te...
The City is not responsible for making these repairs.If the break is located at the back flow:Turning of... (more)

Sewer back-up: I have a sewer back-up and the plumber states it is on the city side. Who do I contact?
During regular business hours, Monday through Thursday from 7:30am until 5:30pm, please contact Department of Utility Se... (more)

Water Coming up through the asphalt: Who do I contact?
Please complete a Contact Henderson case. After hours, weekends or holidays, contact the City of Henderson Police Dispa... (more)

Public Tours: When are Public tours of the City's water Reclamation facilities and water treatment plan off...
Public tours of the City’s water Reclamation facilities and water treatment plant are offered on Tuesdays between 8:00 a... (more)

Cross-Connection Control Requirements: What is the purpose of a backflow assembly? Are there State or City...
When a connection is made to the public water system, the water should flow from the distribution system to the customer... (more)

I received a Water Waste Violation Notice: Can the City help me resolve the water waste issue?
Preventing water waste is ... (more)

UDAC Requirements: Where can I obtain a copy of the UDACS requirements?
Links to the UDACS standards and other requirements for design and construction of water and sewer infrastructure within... (more)

Water and Sewer fees: When are water and sewer fees due for a project?
Some water and sewer fees, such as SNWA fees, are collected prior to mylar submittal of civil improvement plans. Other ... (more)

Commercial Sewer Odor: I smell sewer odor coming from a business. What should I do?
While sewers, by nature, have an unpleasant odor, you should not be able to smell sewer odor at a business. Sewer odors ... (more)

Ornamental Fountains and Water Features: Can I run my fountain? How can I apply for a fountain exemption?
Operation of small residential water features is not restricted.For more information, call 702-267-5952 Monday t... (more)

Special Refunding: How do I get information on Special Refunding agreements for utilities infrastructure?
Please visit our Special Refunding ... (more)

Building Permit Status: How do I check the status of my building permit?
Review schedules for building permits vary by permit type, and the review target date is available online by clicking he... (more)

Sand/Oil/Grease Interceptor : How do I clean my sand/oil/grease interceptor? Does the City have any requ...
Per Henderson Municipal Code 14.09(E), interceptors shall be thoroughly pumped out and cleaned as needed at an appropria... (more)

Septic Permits: How do I request a letter to submit to the Southern Nevada Health District to obtain a sept...
Once the building permit application and plans are submitted, Utility Services will prepare a letter regarding sewer ava... (more)

Dumping in Manholes : Are people allowed to dump into manholes? How do I report that?
Only public employees may access public manholes for maintenance, monitoring, or other activities. Please call the Depar... (more)

Water run-off: How do I reduce water run-off at my property?
Irrigation run-off, which is considered water waste, can usually be eliminated by making changes in three key areas: wat... (more)

Dumping Chemicals: Is it illegal to dump chemicals or other items into the public sewer? How do I report...
Per Henderson Municipal Code 14.09.030, before discharge to the city's publicly-owned treatment works, a new user must s... (more)

Watering Schedules for Golf Courses: Why do golf courses water on the wrong days?
The majority of water used to irrigate Henderson golf courses is reclaimed (cleaned and highly treated) wastewater, and ... (more)

Water Waste appeal: How do I appeal a water waste violation notice?
If you believe you were assessed a water waste violation notice in error, you may request additional information or subm... (more)

Water Waste Fine Appeals: How do I appeal a water waste fine?
If you believe you were assessed a water waste violation notice in error, you may request additional information or subm... (more)

Civil Plan Status: What is the status of the Utility Services review on my civil plan?
Civil plans are reviewed on a 3-3-1 schedule from the time of submittal: 1st reviews and 2nd reviews have a three week t... (more)

Eligibility Notification:
FOR STAFF USE ONLYPlease include Client First & Last Name, Service Address, Account Number, and Appro... (more)

Watering Schedules for Parks: Why do parks water on the wrong days?
Some City of Henderson parks may be watered outside the geographically assigned watering days for the surrounding area. ... (more)