Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


Stopping my Trash Service: How do I get a copy of my closing water bill so that I can cancel my trash service?

Closing bills are mailed to the address provided within 2-3 business days after water service disconnection is scheduled. Republic Services requests a copy of the closing bill if one is available. The closing bill can be faxed to 702-599-5586. If you no longer have a copy of the billing, please contact Republic Services Customer Service at 702-599-5151 for assistance.