Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


Draining Pools and Spas: Can I drain my pool or spa into the street? How do I locate my sewer port?

Before you drain your pool, consult with your pool professional and check your pool chemistry. It may be time to drain your pool if:
Total dissolved solids (TDS) exceed 1,500 parts per million (ppm)
Calcium hardness exceeds 350 ppm (or about 20 grains)

Some pool companies offer mobile filtration systems which remove dissolved solids from your pool water without the need to drain it, reducing water consumption and possible damage to plaster.

Pool and spa water must be drained into the sanitary sewer system, usually accessible through a clean-out port located in your front yard or elsewhere on your property. For help locating your sanitary sewer port, review these tips from

Draining pool or spa water into the street is considered water waste, and can lead to a fine.
Draining pool or spa water into a manhole is considered illegal dumping, is prohibited and can lead to a fine.

Do not drain a pool into a septic tank, which can quickly overfill. Homeowners on septic systems should contact the City of Henderson prior to draining their pool or spa to avoid receiving a water waste notice.

If you need additional assistance with locating your sewer port, you may contact the Building Plans Record Dept at (702) 267-3700, complete the form below with your name, phone number, address, and email address or call the Department of Utility Services Customer Care Center at 702-267-5900. Staff are available to assist you during regular business hours Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.