Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


By Department Community Development

Planning Commission Item: How can I voice my support or opposition to an item or application on a Planning...
There are several ways. Please include the hearing date and either the application number or agenda item number when su... (more)

Zoning Regulations: What is the zoning classification of my property and the zoning regulations for develop...
You can use our interactive zoning map online to... (more)

Home Business: What do I need to do to operate a business out of my home? Are there restrictions?
You can download the ... (more)

Sign Permit: How do I obtain a sign permit?
A sign permit, which is required for certain wall and freestanding signs, may be obtained at the Building Department at ... (more)

House Setbacks: What are the required setbacks for my house?
Residential setbacks are determined by the zoning district in which a house is located. In some cases, they are also de... (more)

Conditional Use Permit: What is a conditional use permit and how do I get one?
A Conditional Use Permit is a discretionary approval process for uses with unique or widely varying operating characteri... (more)

Copies of Planning Documents: How can I get copies of plans or exhibits from a planning or master sign pla...
Customers now have access to view entitlement files online. Before submitting a records request, please visit the link ... (more)

Parking Requirements: What are the parking requirements for my development?
The City's parking requirements are different for each type of use/business. They can be found in ... (more)

Vacation Rental Concerns:  I believe I am impacted by an illegal short-term vacation rental home. ...
... (more)

City Maps: What maps are available for download or purchase? Where can I get them?
There are many maps available, from zoning maps to trail maps to ZIP Code boundary maps online and are printable, intera... (more)

Household Hazardous Waste: Can I recycle such items as batteries and fluorescent light bulbs?
Once no longer useful, many common household items can be dangerous to human health and the environment if they are disp... (more)

Subdivide Property: How do I split or subdivide my property?
There are several methods for dividing a property into one or more parcels, but not all of them apply to all types of di... (more)

Landscaping Requirements Residential: What landscaping is required in my front yard? Is anything prohibited?
The Zoning Ordinance requires 2 24-inch box trees, 7 5-gallon shrubs, and 7 1-gallon ground covers for every residential... (more)

City Plans: How can I find out information on the College Area Plan, the Serene Country Estates Neighborhoo...
We have copies of all of these plans available on the ... (more)

Zoning: What is Zoning?
Zoning is the division of land into districts. These districts have uniform zoning regulations including those on land u... (more)

Building Setbacks: What are the required setbacks for my business or non-residential building?
Much like residential building setbacks, commercial, industrial, and other non-residential building setbacks are determi... (more)

Parcel Maps: Where can I get a copy of the recorded parcel map for my property?
Clark County is the official record keeper of all recorded maps for all of Clark County. The website is very friendly a... (more)

Street Abutting Property: Is the street abutting my property a public or a private street?
The general rule is that brown street signs denote a private street and green signs are used for public streets. If yo... (more)

Vacation Rentals:  Where can I find information on the new Short-Term Vacation Rental Ordinance?
... (more)

Land Use: What is Land Use?
Land use is what determines how a piece of property is/or will be zoned. The land use is directly related to zoning of ... (more)

Building Information: I see a building being constructed on a certain property. How can I find out what it...
Please call or email us. We'll need to know the exact property the construction is on, so if you can give us an address... (more)

BLM Disposal Boundary: What is the BLM Disposal Boundary?
The disposal boundary was originally designated in 1998 under the SNPLMA to address concerns over federal management of ... (more)

Annexed Property: Will my property be annexed into the City?
Private property owners whose land is outside of Henderson's corporate boundaries may apply for annexation provided that... (more)

Zone Change Application: Where can I find zone change applications?
All of our applications are availab... (more)

Zoning Regulations: How do I file an application for a variance of the zoning or landscaping regulations?
To file an application to the Planning Commission, contact the Community Development Department between the hours of 7:3... (more)

West Henderson Land Use Plan: When will the West Henderson Land Use Plan update be complete?
The West Henderson Land Use Plan update is now complete. It was heard at the Planning Commission meeting on October 16,... (more)

Neighborhood Zoning Map: Where can I purchase a copy of the zoning map for my neighborhood?
Full-size current zoning maps are available from the Community Development Department, 240 Water Street, First Floor, He... (more)

Sustainability: What is sustainability?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines sustainability as "meeting the needs of the present without compr... (more)

Limited Transition Area: What is the Limited Transition Area (LTA)?
The Limited Transition Area is an area of approximately 502 acres of federally-owned lands in "West Henderson." These la... (more)

Final Maps: Where can I get a copy of the recorded final map for my property?
Clark County is the official record keeper of all recorded maps for all of Clark County. The website is very friendly a... (more)

Planning Commission Meetings: Where can I find information and agendas for an upcoming Planning Commission ...
Please visit our website for current, future, and past ... (more)

Variance: What is a variance?
A Variance is the means by which the Planning Commission may grant relief from a provision of the Development Code becau... (more)

Planning Commission Agenda: How do I receive a Planning Commission agenda?
An agenda may be obtained at the Community Development Department, or call (702) 267-1500. You can also request to be pu... (more)

Incentives of Renewable Energy Sources: What programs or incentives are available to encourage the use of r...
The City of Henderson is considering a financial assistance program to help residents purchase and install photovoltaic ... (more)

Common Landscaping: Can my neighborhood remove its common area landscaping and/or landscape buffers?
In many of Henderson’s subdivisions and master plans, common landscaping is required by the Zoning Ordinance and m... (more)

West Henderson Land Use Plan: What is the West Henderson Land Use Plan?
The West Henderson Land Use Plan is a part of the City's Comprehensive Plan for future development of the City. This pl... (more)

BLM Auction: How can I purchase land at an upcoming BLM land auction?
General information on the BLM's land sale process can be found by visiting the ... (more)

Population Projections: What are the population projections for Henderson?
To obtain population projections, please visit the City's ... (more)

Recycling Locations: Where can I drop off items I would like to recycle?
Numerous local businesses collect items that can be recycled or in some cases, donated to charitable organizations that ... (more)

Household Hazardous Waste: Can I put household hazardous waste, such as old gasoline, used batteries, oil o...
Can I put household hazardous waste, such as old gasoline, used batter... (more)

West Henderson: Where is the West Henderson area?
The area referred to as West Henderson is currently bordered by the Anthem and Seven Hills master-planned communities to... (more)

Lawn Mower Exchange: What is the "lawn mower exchange" program I've been hearing about?
The City of Henderson has partnered with the Clark County Department of Air Quality and Environmental Management to prom... (more)

Golf Course Landscaping: I can see some dead, dying, or overgrown landscaping at the golf course near my ho...
If you notice that a golf course has dead or dying landscaping, or is visibly unmaintained, especially if you believe it... (more)

City Square Miles: How many square miles does the city cover?
The City of Henderson encompasses approximately 106 square miles.... (more)

City Data: What data is available and where can it be found?
GIS data is available for download from the City's GIS web pa... (more)

Recycling Programs: I've heard about a recycling pilot program offered in other parts of the county. How c...
Republic Services is testing a residential recycling pilot program where residents can use a single container for all th... (more)

Development Code Book: Where can I purchase a copy of the City of Henderson Development Code Book?
The City of Henderson Development C... (more)

Boulder Highway Investment Strategy : How can I obtain information on the Boulder Highway Investment Strate...
The RTC is expanding their BRT service from Downtown Las Vegas to Henderson along Boulder Highway. In response, the Cit... (more)

Seniors: How many Seniors live in Henderson?
Please see the city's Demographic... (more)

Aircraft Noise: Where/to whom do I report excessive aircraft noise?
For all aircraft-related noise issues, please contact the Clark County Aircraft Noise Hotline at 702-261-3694.... (more)

Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act : What is the Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act (SNPL...
For SNPLMA information visit the Bureau of Land Management SNP... (more)

Save Money: How can I save money on my energy bill?
The easiest way to save money on your bill is to use less energy. That ranges from turning off and unplugging unused app... (more)

Transit Service: How do I plan a trip if I want to use transit service?
The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) provides a Transit Trip Planner on their website to help you navigate their... (more)

Off-Highway Vehicles: Why are some areas closed to Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV) use and where can I get more ...
The Bureau of Land Management owns most of the land surrounding the developed areas of Henderson and Las Vegas and has s... (more)

Kiosk Signs: How can my school/organization get a panel on the City of Henderson Kiosk signs located throu...
The City of Henderson Kiosk signs allow public facilities, public schools, higher education facilities, and residential ... (more)

Boulder Highway Zoning Changes: How will my property along Boulder Highway will be impacted by proposed zon...
The City is considering mixed-use zoning for most of the properties along Boulder Highway, and the new regulations are d... (more)

Golf Course Closure: I've heard that a golf course in the city is closing and I'm concerned about what coul...
Please let us know your concerns by submitting a case. At this time, we know of issues with both Legacy Golf Course and... (more)

Henderson Population: What is the current population of Henderson?
Henderson population is currently estimated as 310,446 (as of February 28, 2018). Henderson is the second-largest city ... (more)

Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan : What is the Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP)?
For more information on the Clark County Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan visit the ... (more)

Bus Rapid Transit Information: Where can I find more information regarding proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT...
The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) is leading the effort to create a network of BRT service... (more)

Boulder Highway Investment Strategy: What is the Boulder Highway Investment Strategy?
The Boulder Highway Corridor has been identified as a major route for future Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) service in the Las ... (more)

Window Signs: How much signage can I put on the windows of my business?
Window signs are typically limited to no more than 25% of each window or glass door, and the signs shall not obstruct vi... (more)