Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


Private Fire Hydrants: Do I need a permit for a private (red) fire hydrant and who I contact regarding the maintenance?

The owner of the property is primarily responsible for maintenance of private hydrants - this includes ensuring water is available.  The Building & Fire Safety department requires building or property owners have their private fire hydrant systems inspected and tested annually by a Nevada State Fire Marshal certified company licensed to install and test these types of systems. If you have a private fire hydrant system, you will need a Private Hydrant Renewable permit per each fire system under your ownership. For the application and guidelines, please visit the Fire Safety page on the Building and Fire Safety section of the City of Henderson Web site.