Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


Public Defender: Can I speak with a Public Defender and if he/she is appointed, when will he/she appear on my behalf?

The Public Defender may only be appointed if the City is seeking a jail sentence on your charge and you meet the Federal guidelines for appointment of a Public Defender. If no jail time is requested, a public defender will not be made available to you. If the Court Appoints the Public Defender on your case, that attorney will be present at your arraignment, trial, and sentencing, if you plead guilty or are found guilty at trial.