Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


Household Hazardous Waste: Can I recycle such items as batteries and fluorescent light bulbs?

Once no longer useful, many common household items can be dangerous to human health and the environment if they are disposed of inappropriately. Items such as batteries, fluorecent light bulbs, pesticides, used oil, oil-based paint, and lead-acid batteries are all considered hazardous household waste.

Local busineses that collect these materials for recycling can be found at or or call 800-597-5865. Republic Services offers regularly scheduled drop-off days for Household Hazardous Waste at their transfer stations. For a schedule, log on to or call Customer Service at 702-735-5151.