Frequently Asked Questions

  ADA/508 friendly site


General Hunting License Information.

General Information:

•A hunter education course is required for anyone who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. You may sign up for hunter's safety course at Greece Town Hall, One Vince Tofany Blvd. in the Town Clerk's office. For information on hunter education courses, call 1-888-HUNT ED 2

•Updated Sportsmen Education Class schedule available at

•Hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries are honored

•Hunters wishing to bow hunt must take an additional bow hunter education course.

•Bow hunter education certificates issued by:

◦National Field Archery Association or National Bow Hunter Education Foundation or International Bow hunter Education Program issued in 1974 or later in any state or country

◦Any state or provincial fish and wildlife agency (certificate or card must specify the course was for bow hunting and not a general hunting course with a bow hunting segment)

◦Ontario Bow hunters Association (on green or brown letterhead stationery with moose head bow and arrow emblem until July 31, 1987

◦Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (on letterhead after August 1, 1987)

Who Can Obtain:

•Anyone 12 years of age and older
•Hunters under 16 must apply for a license in person, bring their birth certificate, and be accompanied by parent or legal guardian
•NYS driver's license is required.

•For a resident license, a person must live in New York State for more than thirty days prior to date of the application.
•Land ownership does not make you a resident.
•Your residency must be your fixed, permanent, and principal home, such as where you are registered to vote
•If under 18, the residence of your parents or legal guardian is your residence
•Active members of the US Armed Forces stationed in NY and full-time college students in residence in the State during the school year (proof required) qualify for annual resident licenses
•Log on to for information on obtaining sporting licenses under the Patriot Plan.
Where to Obtain:

•Licenses and permits are vaild from October 1 through September 30 of the following year.
•To hunt in small game or big game seasons starting prior to October 1, the previous year's license is required.
•Previous year big game licenses are available only from the License Sales Office, NYS DEC, 50 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12233-4790
Documents Required:

•Proof of Age
•Previous hunting license or copy of your hunting education certificate
•NY State driver's license or non-driver's ID issued by DMV.
Cost to Obtain:

•Contact Town Clerk as fees vary
•Free hunting and trapping licenses are available to members of the Shinnecock and Poosatuck tribes and members of the Six Nations residing reservations in the state. Licenses must be obtained from tribal councils or license issuing agents annually.
Small Game License Exceptions:

•All residents must have a valid hunting license in their possession except:

◦Resident owners primarily engaged in farming, lessess, and members of their immediate families do not need a hunting license when hunting on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.

◦Native Americans living on a reservation do not need a hunting license while hunting on reservation lands.

◦Resident active members of the US Armed Forces who are stationed elsewhere and are in the state no longer than 30 days do not need a hunting license to hunt small game. While hunting, such persons must carry their service identification card and furlough papers.
•To hunt turkey, all hunters must have a turkey permit. There are no exceptions.
Lost License:

•To replace a lost license you may contact any license issuing agent, a $5.00 fee for each license will be charged.
•To replace a lost tag, go to any license issuing agent. This includes a lost big game carcass tag set.
•Lost turkey permits may be replaced by any license issuing agent.
License Responsibilities:

•Licenses are not transferable and may be used only by the person to whom issued. Deer Management Permits are now transferable.
•It is not legal to possess another person's license while hunting, unless accompanied by the person to whom issued.
•A license to hunt, trap or fish does not give the holder any right to go on private property without permission of the land owner.
•Back tags must be visibly displayed on the middle of your back while hunting except in the Northern Zone and Catskill Park.
Town of Greece Hunting Map

Hunting is allowed in restricted areas in the Town of Greece. A map is also located in the Town Clerk's Office and at the Police Department. You may come in and view the map.

Was this answer helpful?